|CHURCH||STAFF/BOARDS||HISTORY||ORGANIZATIONS||SUNDAY SCHOOL/YOUTH MINISTRY||MONTHLY NEWSLETTER||CALENDAR||CONTACT|
our past that made us who we are today
The beginning of Immanuel congregation goes back to the year 1897. A number of Lutheran families lived in the village of Okawville and the surrounding area. Many of them were members of Ebenezer Lutheran Church, Grand Prairie, located a few miles southwest of the village. Some families didn’t own a team of horses, so transportation to Ebenezer was a problem. Many Lutheran families, who visited the Okawville area and stayed for weeks at a time at one of the local hotels, often expressed regret that they could not go to a church of their denomination. The need was felt to begin a church in Okawville, not only to serve those living and visiting there, but also to provide a place of worship for future inhabitants.
On February 2, 1908 Pastor W. Lessmann of Ebenezer met with a group of his parishioners who wanted to form a new congregation in Okawville, and had asked for release. Those present voted they wished to form a new church and the name should be Evangelisch Lutherische Immanuels Gemeinde Ungeaenderter Augsburgischer Confession (Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel Lutheran Congregation Unaltered Augsburg Confession). It was also decided to use the Ebenezer Constitution with a few changes made paragraph by paragraph. They decided to purchase a tract of land (416 x 170 feet) on the corner of Hanover and Schumacher Street. The decision was made to build a Gothic-style building which measured 38 feet wide, 70 feet long, and 18 feet high with provisions for a steeple.
Work began as soon as weather permitted early in March, 1908. The cornerstone was laid Easter Sunday, April 19, 1908. Approximately 600 attended. After many meetings and prayers the date for the dedication of Immanuel Lutheran Church was scheduled for July 19, 1908. It was reported large crowds arrived by train, buggies and vehicles. It was estimated 2000 assembled in front of the new church eagerly waiting for the doors to be opened.
As was the custom in most
German settlements in the early 1900’s, the church
services and congregational meetings were conducted
in the German language. Regular
English services appeared in April, 1922 when it was
decided to have two English services a month
(probably evening services).
Gradually the German services diminished in number.
In the October 1951 meeting it was resolved
to change the name of the congregation to “Immanuel
Lutheran Church, (U.A.C.) in Okawville, Washington
Co., Ill.” When a pastoral
vacancy occurred in July, 1956, many calls for a new
pastor were returned. The
suggestion was made that having to conduct German
services might hold back a pastor from accepting a
call to Immanuel. A motion
was passed to no longer conduct German Services.
Numerous renovations took place over the years. In 1952 it was decided to put a basement under the entire church to provide space for Sunday School classes, a kitchen, oil furnace, and restrooms. Major improvements included installing new windows of art glass, moving the altar against the north wall, purchasing a new lectern, and installing a sound proof cry room. In 1979 it was approved to have the church sided instead of painted. The renovations in 1993 included painting the interior, installing new carpeting, central air, new furnace, central vacuum and converting the cry room into a restroom. A narthex was built on the south side to allow for a larger reception area and a wheel chair lift. A service to dedicate the building project was held Sunday, July 17, 1994.
The year 2008 marked the 100th Anniversary of Immanuel Lutheran church—a year to reflect on the spiritual past and future. It was a year of celebration with six services reflecting on the 100th anniversary being held during the year each centered on a different aspect of church life. An anniversary book featuring the history of the church and school, pastors, principals and teachers who served Immanuel, pictures, and memories written by individuals was prepared. Copies of the book are available at the church office.
Increased enrollment led to the construction of a new school building. Ground breaking ceremonies were held June 19, 1960. A project supervisor was engaged; however, all volunteer labor was used to construct the building. Students and teachers moved into the new school during Christmas break 1960. The building was completed during the summer of 1961 and dedicated August 27, 1961. At a special meeting on July 2, 2000 the motion was made to take over the operation of the Rainbow Day Care and build a 50 ft. x 80 ft. building south of the gym for a day care center with a room for the library that could later be converted to infant care. In 2008, Immanuel Lutheran School became accredited through National Lutheran School Accreditation during one of the 100 year anniversary celebrations of the church and school.A covered walkway would connect the daycare building and the present school. Immanuel Lutheran School is an indication of what a group of families and members working together for a common goal can accomplish.
For many years,
O God of grace,
This church has been your dwelling place
And we your congregation.
On Christ our precious cornerstone,
Our faith is built, and Christ alone
Is still our one foundation.
This day we pray:
“Let us greet you, Lord, and meet you
Here with singing,
All our praises to you bringing.”
(LW Hymn #523 verse 1)